Search This Blog

Friday 20 April 2012

ISO 14001 - get the basics right & the rest will follow

When I with clients being audited for ISO 14001 I pay very good attention to the auditor. This is mainly as a lead EMS auditor I'm interested in seeing how other auditors work, but secondly I'm fascinated about the differences between auditors.

However, what doesn't change is that the have to audit against the clauses of the standard.

Personally, when writing an EMS I like to keep it simple and follow the organisation of the clauses of the standard. I speak to colleagues who look at the activities carried out by the organisation and write the EMS to those. We all must be right if our clients are getting through ISO 14001 accredited certification.

What I have noticed with external auditors that if the EMS manual is in the same order as the standard's clauses, then it's easy for them to follow and can find parts of the manual if only auditing certain clauses of the standard.

I also believe in keeping it simple as all you have to do is meet the minimum requirements of the standard. Now, this sounds defeatist, but being pragmatic you want to meet the requirements as a minimum as diversions into other avenues may distract you from meeting the basic requirements...of the standard you are being audit against.

Often I hear people starting out or thinking of starting ISO 14001 that CSR or sustainability can drive it. Whilst they can, I think get the basic systems and legal requirements right and the rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment