Search This Blog

Sunday 4 March 2012

Dirty, slow, expensive and uncomfortable. A cautionary tale for rail. #trainpain

I had the most uncomfortable rail journey ever yesterday between Formby and Ramsgreave & Wilpshire (near Blackburn) and I feel I should share my thoughts.

The first leg was actually not too bad on Merseyrail as it was fast, frequent on old but refurbished and clean stock.

I had to change at Southport where things got bad when passengers were shoehorned class 142 Pacer, a train which was not fit for service when new. The train got quite busy and ironically on a train bound for Manchester Airport, passengers with cases coudln't get them down the narrow isle very easily.

The seat was the most uncomfortable I have experienced on public transport and the ride quality was bordering on the terrifying.

Thinkfully I had to change in Bolton when I travelled on a class 150 Sprinter. Whilst more comfortable the unit smelt of urine and it was really dirty.

Why does Merseyrail, owned by the same Serco/Albellio JV keep its trains clean, whilst sister company Northern Rail never clean them? When I mean clean I don't mean pick up some litter, I mean scrub, wash, polish etc. By the layers of dirt and grime "infrequently" is the word I'm going to politely use.

My view is that with Merseyrail being a consession let be the regional travel authority Merseytravel, there are higher service levels than on a franchise let the more standard route.

Sadly the Northern Rail journey passed through many political districts in Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen which rediculously is not in Lancashire.

The only saving grace was that the train was on time, despite it taking 2 hrs 7 mins for a journey I could have driven in 55 mins. Why travel this way, well I want to reduce carbon and also fancied a change from driving, even though my ticket cost over £17.

However, with franchises only being worries about financial penalties for late running trains, there is little apparent focus on passenger compfort.

There needs to be more of a focus on passengers in the North West and not let another franchise on the basis to keep old and work stock on the rails.

I've heard people say travel is about the journey and not the destination, but yesterday I just wanted to get off.

No comments:

Post a Comment